If you are new to the Tatoeba Project, I'd suggst looking at the Quick Start Guide
Things Anyone Can Do (Registration Not Needed)
- You can browse through sentences.
- You can search for sentences. (Learn the syntax.)
giants & baseball
volleyball | basketball
- LIMIT TO EXACT WORD
=swim This gets "swim" and not "swimmer," "swimming," etc.
(he's|(he is)) This gets "he's" or "he is."
(he's|(he is)) | (she's|(she is))
=(He's|(He is)) | =(she's|(she is))
- ADVANCED + FROM BEGINNING OF THE SENTENCE
(^He's|(^He is)) | (^She's|(^She is)) | (^I'm|(^I am)) | (^We're|(^We are)) | (^They're|(^They are)) | (^You're|(^You are))
- For more details, read about the Sphinx "Boolean Syntax"
- You can read what members are talking about.
- You can view members' profiles that have been set to public.
- You can download all the sentences. (Released under CC-BY.)
- You can register for free and become a member ("user").
Things Contributors Can Do
- You should learn the aims of this project.
- Briefly, ...
- We are collecting sentences and their translations into other langauges.
- We don't want single words and phrases that are not sentences.
- For more detail, ...
- You can translate a sentence by clicking on this icon whenever you see it.
- Please do not forget capital letters and punctuation.
- If you are looking for a good set of sentences to translate, sentences tagged less than 8 words is a good place to start.
- You can correct mistakes that you find, if the sentence is not "owned" by another user.
- To do this, ...
- Adopt () the "orphan" ("unowned") sentence.
- Then click the text to edit it.
- Then, optionally, "unown" () the sentence if you want others to be able to easily edit it again.
- You can add alternate translations. ()
- Instead of changing unnatural-sounding, yet correct sentences, Tatoeba.org prefers that you leave these and add an alternate translation.
- If you feel there are several possible translations, you can add several translations in the same language.
- You can add comments to sentences.
- If you find a mistake, but it's "owned" by another user, then leave a comment telling the "owner" how it can be corrected.
- If you see something that seems strange or you don't understand, you can leave a comment and someone may explain it to you.
- If you find things that are absolute nonsense or are not sentences, you can leave a comment alerting moderators that perhaps the item should be deleted.
- You can proofread sentences and "adopt" () sentences that you think are good.
- Generally speaking, "owned" sentences are more likely to be error free. This is especially true if the "owner" of a sentence is not the same person who created it. (See the "logs" on the right side of the page to see who originally created a sentence.)
- You can add new sentences.
- The best approach is to search first to make sure the sentence is not already in the database.
- Search with the sentence in quotes to find exact matches.
- LIKE THIS: "I have a dog."
- NOT: I have a dog.
- Another way is to go to the Contribute page.
- You can write on the wall.
- You can create a list and add sentences () to it.
- You can add sentences to "public lists." ()
- You can add sentences to your favorites () list attached to your profile.
- You can send private messages to other members.
- You can record audio files.
- Briefly, you can use the Shtooka Recorder (Windows) or YazikRecorder (Linux / Python) to record the sentences.
- There is a bit more information in a blog post.
- Write and ask how to do this: firstname.lastname@example.org
Things Advanced Contributors Can Do
- You can add tags.
- You can delete your own tags.
- You can link () and unlink () sentences.
Things Corpus Maintainers Can Do
- Read our blog entry on Moderators in Tatoeba.
- You can also link any two sentences with this URL.
- aaaa = the number of one sentence
- bbbb = the number of the other sentence.
- You can delete () sentences.
- NOTE TO NEW MODERATORS: Tatoeba.org seems to prefer to keep any correct sentence and even a certain number of non-sentences. Don't delete items that are unnatural-sounding or archaic without a second opinion by an experienced moderator.
- You can delete anyone's tags, not just your own. (Since you can't tell which tags are yours and which are other people's, you need to be careful about what you delete.)
- How Moderators Can Delete Duplicates
Things the Admin Can Do
- The Admin can change a member's status: trusted_user, moderator, etc.
- ... and much more.
If you see any errors or omissions, please write me a message via Tatoeba.org.
- Many of the sentences came from the Tanaka Corpus.
- Email address for suggestions, etc. = email@example.com
- IRC = irc://freenode/tatoeba
- The code is open source coded in PHP, with a framework called CakePHP.
For Sysko and Trang